Monday, March 8, 2010

Reunited, and it feels so good...

After Wayne went back to Mississippi, I couldn’t stop thinking about him. He lived with his mother in a tiny mobile home in a trailer park. They didn’t have anything even closely resembling a land line and they shared a cell phone between them. I spent my down time while not in school filling out online surveys to get free ten minute phone cards from a website called “phonehog.com”. I’d use them to call him nightly, often hearing the chimes and message that said the phone was turned off or out of range. I got to know his mother a little as I often caught her instead of him. She was a delightful woman.

The weeks passed and I talked to Wayne as much as I could… which wasn’t much. I pined over him, dripping at the thought of seeing him again. I got to know him as much as ten minute conversations would allow and often hung up feeling unfulfilled as the time ran out all too soon.

Then one day James told me he was going to get Wayne for the weekend. I was elated! My mother wasn’t very fond of James for reasons I can’t recall, so I had to sneak to meet up with them. I got on my bike and rode down that dusty, un-paved back road. I pictured the moment in my mind when I’d see James’ car coming around the corner, Wayne hopping out of the passenger seat before the car could even come to a complete stop and running over to embrace me.

And it happened exactly like that.

I heard the white Accord before I saw it. It came racing around the corner, kicking up dust in its wake. The car rolled to a stop when James spotted me and Wayne hopped out of the passenger seat. I threw my bike down and ran to him. He lifted me in his arms and I wrapped my legs around him as we kissed and kissed and kissed. It was the most incredible feeling to taste him again, the metal of his tongue ring flicking across my lips.

“Okay you guys, get a room” James said. Wayne and I pulled apart and stared at each other, huge grins on our faces. He set me down and I hid my bike in the ditch, climbing into the car with them.

We couldn’t stay together long and before I knew it we were apart again. I savored the scent of his cologne, Hugo Boss, as it lingered on my clothes. I’ll forever associate that smell with him. R

[Via http://genesislives.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment